In what may be a harbinger of the future, a small 15 percent increase in container volume at a cargo terminal near Bayonne NJ has wreaked havoc on the surrounding community, causing traffic to come to a standstill on nearby highways.
In anticipation of increasing container imports, the Global Marine Terminal has more than doubled its container handling capacity from 500,000 to 1.1 million containers per year.
- Raising the Bayonne Bridge to accommodate the New Panamax mega container ships will cost about $1 billion.
- How many more truck trips a day will be required to unload these new 13,000 container ships?
- What impact has this small increase in container volume and resulting traffic congestion had on air quality in nearby communities?
- How much worse will congestion and air pollution be in communities near the Ports of New York and New Jersey after the Bayonne Bridge has been raised?
- What will it cost to upgrade the regional road network to handle the increased traffic?